South Park Can't Be 'Cancelled', But Here's Why No One Cares Anymore Anyway

     Just recently, I had seen in my YouTube recommended sidebar a video titled 'Uncancellable: South Park', or something to that effect and it immediately sparked some humble (or not so humble) opinions in my very fragile stupid brain. Not only was I thinking that 'uncancellable' is not a real word and sounds stupid when said out loud, I was thinking about the statistics of who in the world even remotely gives two rat shits that South Park is STILL around. So before you twist my words, I'll clarify that I am a South Park fan and give two rat shits that it even existed because it made my childhood pretty fun and shaped my early sense of humor. But for the last eight years or so, I haven't much cared for any new episodes or specials or anything like that. 


    Yes, that means a few years before South Park's Trump-Garrison parody through out the 2016 Presidential election that brain of mine had already stopped seeing South Park as a comedy gold rush and became pretty bored with it. The Trump-Garrison shit just added onto the growing list of boring and non-original ideas. The photo you can see I pasted above is from the new South Park stream-able movie series on Paramount Plus, this one specifically being 'The Streaming Wars', but I can't tell you if it's a screenshot from part one or part two of the Streaming Wars because obviously I didn't watch and had no real desire to.

    Basically, Randy Marsh has now gone full 'nuclear Karen'. There is nothing more not funny in this day in age. The Karen meme was only funny to maybe 40% of the world's population, while the other 60% didn't care for it and didn't pay attention to it. Trey Parker has simply run out of ideas. I'm picking him out specifically because he's pretty much the main writer for the show. Without researching I'm going to assume it's still just Trey and Matt's ideas for these, because imagining a room full of adults laughing while writing nuclear Randy-Karen is painfully cringeworthy.

    Trey and Matt, the creators of South Park obviously, were much more creative when it came to mocking current trends or politics back in the early to mid-2000's without using South Park as the tool for creating mockery. They would simply put those more politically themed thoughts into a separate entity like 'Team America: World Police' which was released in 2004 and heavily parodied American politics and the concurrent world events during the war with Afghanistan. They didn't need South Park to make fun of something, they used to keep the show we knew and loved somewhat constantly original and involved more imagination to characters and storylines.

via my giphy page

    So, yeah at the end of the day, maybe South Park is 'uncancellable' or whatever but with how awful the show has been over the last decade I can't see a normal human caring much about it. Obsessive and dedicated fans out there will obviously disagree heavily with everything I've said, and that's perfectly fine, it's expected. See, I use my common sense to detect when something is going to be perceived as 'good' or 'bad'. 

    All the early South Park including 'Bigger, Longer, and Uncut' remains in my memory bank and thought processing as what was some of Trey Parker and Matt Stone's best work in general. The imagination was impeccable, the show was something of an acid trip and these paper cut-out school kids are all saying 'fuck' and 'shit' a lot, it was pretty damn sweet.


    -Rhett Rhodes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Investigating ChezzKids Archive or 'Chezz.com', The Most Interesting Internet Mystery | www.Rhetter.com

Freddie Dredd - Freddie's Inferno (Album Review)

What's Going On With Ezra Miller? | Rhetter.com