Why Jackass: The Movie Is The Most Iconic Jackass Film

 

via ilovemorons on pinterest

    A certain time in the movie world has most certainly gone on to be forgotten. Sort of. The late 80's and all through the 90's, continuing into the 2000's going out and renting a movie was something almost everyone did. Back when the VHS was the most common type of media to rent and every home had multiple VHS players there's been virality in several movies and videos. That's right, the internet was not always the engine pumping viral content, sometimes it was around the corner at Blockbuster. One of my favorite things to go do as a kid in the early 2000's was go rent DVD's and VHS's and get candy and experience something hopefully awesome that I've never seen before. Not long after I would start my DVD collecting obsession. But, enough banter, moving on.

    Jackass: The Movie was an incredible success when it was released in theaters in October of 2002, and was even more successful on home video in 2003. And I'm underselling that by a longshot, Jackass: The Movie was one of the most talked about movies from 2002 to 2005 almost. There was always this one person that was around that asked, 'have you seen that movie where that guy takes a shit in that hardware store toilet?' Or perhaps you'd hear, 'Isn't that the movie where that guy shoves a toy car up his butt?' And I'm not really joking about that. I remember when the Dukes of Hazzard movie came out in 2005, there was always some reference of Jackass from someone. And as a kid, I didn't know what Jackass really was or why it was so heavily sheltered from my viewing. That's why when I got the first chance to ever see anything Jackass related I jumped at the chance like stink on shit.

via eonline.com

    Basically, it was home media that made Jackass: The Movie something extremely special. If you hadn't seen the television show because (like me for some reason) you just didn't have MTV for the decade that Jackass was at its most popular, you for sure had seen the first movie someway or another. Another crazy thing to me is the fact that a lot of their names were simply household names all of a sudden. Even back when I had not seen Jackass, I knew the names Steve-O, Bam Margera, and of course Johnny Knoxville: the three most prominent break-out stars from Jackass in the early 2000's.

    All I have to say now is thank god for two things:
1. Thank god that Comedy Central aired Jackass: The Movie on television when I was a kid and did not have MTV. Even though it was censored, it was still amazing.
2. Thank god my dad was cool for once when we were kids and let my brother Ryland have Jackass The Video Game on PS2 back in 2007. That's how I came to know every member and their names, and got to view clips from the episodes that were unlockable when playing the game.

    It was also around this time when my brother got that video game that my mom and I went to rent movies at our local rental place and ended up BUYING me Jackass Number Two Unrated. Who knows what made her change her mind about letting us view this stuff, but my 10 year old brain was very happy. Anyways, I'm not sure if there's anything to learn from any of this, maybe I really just wanted to banter on about how badass it was to be there at a time when this movie was flying off shelves and everyone was talking about it. Then 'Number Two' came out and that ended up being insanely popular and successful too on home media. A whole recycle happened and everyone wanted to see that one because the first one was so crazy and funny.
    
    -Rhett Rhodes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Investigating ChezzKids Archive or 'Chezz.com', The Most Interesting Internet Mystery | www.Rhetter.com

Freddie Dredd - Freddie's Inferno (Album Review)

What's Going On With Ezra Miller? | Rhetter.com