Wido - Field Day (Album) Review

     by rhett rhodes @rhettrhodes98

    Sometime in the summer of 2020, I was clicking on random artist recommendations on Spotify and listened to a song or two from a duo called XIX. They have since changed their name to 'WHOKILLEDXIX', but that doesn't matter a damn bit either way; from XIX I clicked on Wido and I've truly been a fan of this person ever since. The song I listened to was 'Push it!' which they released back in February of 2020. And by November of that very same year, Push it! had already garnered over a million plays if I remember correctly. Well, from early 2020 all the way to early 2021 or so, Wido was pretty inactive musically, that was until they released their debut album 'Decision Making', which I enjoy just a select number of songs from but in the end found it to be rather mediocre compared to the creatively glitchy and pitched up autotuned vocals from their previous singles. Well, I've just now dived into 2022's 'Field Day' and I feel obliged to give a humble review of it.

    First and foremost, the album starts off incredibly, incredibly strong with one of my favorite tracks from the project, 'Chrysalis'. The track starts off with these beautifully harmonic chords, almost too gloomy but a perfect start nonetheless. The bass is thick and heavy, which as you'll come to know is a solid Wido staple in their music. The vocals melodically jump from the track; the autotune is heavy, heavy, heavy; one thing I like that my girlfriend and many others think ruins the music but I think it's like putting an instrument on your voice. Everyone's different as we all know.

    The second track 'Crush on me' was a little rough on my ears; it seemed incredibly too slow and almost over-produced in a sense. I almost get a little bored of it. 'Step in the brakes' and 'Crush it up put it in my hands' are high-spirited and pop-ish. The fast pace and wild synths almost remind me of standing next to an arcade machine and listening to the 8-bit theme song; classic crunchy Wido bass-lines as well that mesh tremendously. Track five, 'Scary' is another fun listen and on top of all its good qualities they incorporated some sound effects into the mix, most notably the needle scratch. On 'I Was Born To' Wido tries some different vocal ranges which I actually admired they did, but didn't think that it was exactly all their. But as time goes on and Wido progresses musically, I'd definitely like to hear these different vocal ranges if executed and unerring.

    'Who Was' was released as a single sometime in 2021, and I've played that song so many times already that I know all of the words. I find Who Was an incredibly enjoyable song; the crazy synths, immaculate bassline, and lyrics that are fun to sing along to and follow. 'Nothing Forever' is a hazy vibe; reminds me of Decision Making's 'We did it.. together', one of my favorite songs from that project. The bass drum thumping and wondering chords and light synths is like being in a vaporwave edit if you close your eyes and think of light pinks and dark purples. I really liked this album.

7.2/10
Wido - Field Day (2022)
Rhetter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Investigating ChezzKids Archive or 'Chezz.com', The Most Interesting Internet Mystery | www.Rhetter.com

Freddie Dredd - Freddie's Inferno (Album Review)

What's Going On With Ezra Miller? | Rhetter.com